Queer Content To Keep You Stimulated Through Lockdown
Stuck with a bad case of lockdown fatigue and don't know what to watch anymore? We've curated a huge list of queer films and series' from SBS On Demand to make you laugh, cry and stay engaged during lockdown.
With films and shows from all across the globe, you can pretend you're in another country from your very loungeroom.
My Big Gay Italian Wedding, SBS On Demand
- A Date for Mad Mary (2016, Ireland, English): `Mad' Mary McArdle returns to her hometown after a brief stint in prison and is immediately labelled as undateable, but she is determined to find a date to accompany her to her best friend's wedding. Available until 24 August 2021.
- Girl (2018, Belgium, French): A 15-year-old girl who was born in the body of a boy is determined to become a professional ballerina. Available until 25 August 2021.
- Reinventing Marvin (2017, France, French): Unable to fit in at school, Marvin's life is changed forever when he discovers his passion for the theatre. Available until 31 August 2021.
- Ideal Home (2018, USA, English): Paul and celebrity chef Erasmus live an extravagant, self-indulgent lifestyle. Their lives are soon turned upside down when the grandson they never knew existed crashes their fancy dinner party. Available until 18 September 2021.
- Three Times (2005, Taiwan, Mandarin): A soldier falls in love with a pool-hall hostess in one of three romantic tales set in different eras: 1966, 1911 and 2005. Available until 30 September 2021.
- The String (2009, Belgium, Canadian French): When Malik returns home after living abroad, the stresses that once haunted him begin to return until he meets the dreamy houseboy at his mother's estate. Available until 30 September 2021.
- The Happy Prince (2018, Belgium, English): With his body ailing after being imprisoned in England for his affair with Lord Alfred Douglas, Oscar Wilde recalls his flamboyant past. Available until 30 November 2021.
- My Big Gay Italian Wedding (2018, Italy, Italian): Antonio brings his fiancé, Paulo, to the old Italian village of his birth to meet his headstrong parents and reveal his sexuality. Available until 31 December 2021.
- Tu Me Manques (2019, Bolivia, Spanish): A father travels from Bolivia to New York City to confront his dead son's boyfriend, and continues to find it difficult to confront his son's sexuality.
- The Parade (2011, Croatia, Serbian): A middle-aged and homophobic Serbian gangster sacrifices himself to protect gay freedom in his country.
- The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018, USA, English): In 1993, high schooler Cameron is caught having a sexual encounter with another girl, and is sent away to a remote treatment centre called God's Promise for gay conversion therapy.
The Miseducation Of Cameron Post, SBS On Demand
- Song Lang (2018, Vietnam, Vietnamese): The star of a travelling opera troupe develops an unlikely friendship with an enforcer for a loan shark.
- Rūrangi (2020, NZ, English): After leaving town 10 years prior, a transgender man reunites with his friends and family for the first time since his transition.
- Room in Rome (2010, Spain, English): Two young women meet while on holiday in Rome and share a night of intense passion while exchanging stories about their dreadful pasts.
- Pride (2014, UK, English): Realising that they share common foes in Margaret Thatcher, the police and the conservative press, London-based gays and lesbians lend their support to striking miners in Wales, in 1984.
- Lovesong (2016, USA, English): Two women find their lives even more deeply intertwined, after a journey changes the dimensions of their friendship forever.
- Goodbye Mother (2019, Vietnam, Vietnamese): Van, the heir of a Vietnamese clan, returns home for the move of his father's tomb. The family is surprised to find him going with a Vietnamese American named Ian.
- Good Manners (2017, Brazil, Brazilian Portuguese): A mysterious and wealthy woman hires a lonely nurse to care for her unborn child, whose birth during the full moon brings with it unexpected complications.
- Freeheld (2015, USA, English): With help from colleague Dane Wells and activist Steven Goldstein, terminally ill New Jersey detective Laurel Hester fights for pension benefits for her domestic partner, Stacie Andree.
- Cut Snake (2014, Australia, English): An ex-convict's past comes back to haunt him when his former cellmate tracks him down and jeopardises his relationship with his young fiancée.
- Cloudy River (2019, Australia, English, 47m): When Cloudy and River move in together, their open relationship is put to the test. Cloudy explores the timeless bond of her relationship with River in her new art exhibition.
- Carmen & Lola (2018, Spain, Spanish): Two Roma women living in the suburbs of Madrid fall in love, leading to them being rejected by their community.
Aligarh, SBS On Demand
- Aligarh (2015, India, Hindi): Dr Shrinivas Ramchandra Siras gets suspended from his job as the head of the Classical Modern Indian Languages Faculty at Aligarh Muslim University due to his sexual orientation.
- Albert Nobbs (2011, Ireland, English): Albert Nobbs is a shy butler who holds a big secret: he is really a she. After meeting someone who is in the same situation as her, Albert decides to take on a wife to help her maintain her masquerade.
- A Fantastic Woman (2017, Chile, Spanish): Marina, a transgender waitress and nightclub singer, is shocked by the death of her older boyfriend. Mourning the loss of the man she loved, she finds herself under intense scrutiny from those with no regard for her privacy.
- Young And Gay In Putin's Russia (2017, USA, English): Milene Larsson travels to Russia ahead of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics to investigate the effects of the country's state-sanctioned homophobia.
- Gay Conversion Therapy (2016, USA, English): In this special report, VICE gets exclusive access to one of the hundreds of gay conversion therapy organisations, groups, and sessions in the United States.
- Gaycation: United We Stand (2016, USA, English): In this Gaycation special, Elliot Page and Ian Daniel head to Washington DC for the Women's March to go beyond the headlines, taking a look into what the Trump administration could mean for the LGBTQI community.
- The Cougar Queen (2018, Vietnam, Vietnamese): A single and successful talk show host who doesn't want any romantic attachments develops an attraction to a co-worker.
- Threesome (UK, English: 2 seasons available): Each season is a seven-part comedy series about three inseparable friends on the verge of 30. Alice lives with her boyfriend Mitch and their gay best friend Richie.
- The Family Law (Australia, English: 3 seasons available): Based on the best-selling book by Benjamin Law, The Family Law is a drama-comedy series following everyone's favourite almost-functional Asian Australian family.
- Gaycation (USA, English: 2 seasons available): Actor Elliot Page (Juno, Inception) and their best friend, Ian Daniel, set off on a journey to explore LGBTQI cultures around the world.
- Vagrant Queen (USA, English: 10-episode season): Former child queen Elida has been on the run since her mother was shot and killed by Commander Lazaro, the man responsible for bringing down their empire. Available until 31 August 2021.
Gaycation, SBS On Demand