Midsumma Carnival Accessibility
Auslan Interpretation of Gender Euphoria 2019, photo by Alexis Desaulniers-Lea
Midsumma Carnival has something for everybody, including many facilities provided to assist those with special accessibility needs.
- Accessible Drop-Off Bay for Vehicles: located at the intersection of Boathouse Drive and Alexandra Avenue
- Accessible Parking: unfortunately, there is no onsite accessible parking, but accessible parking is available at:
Wheelchair Access within the Precinct
The entire Midsumma Carnival precinct is wheelchair accessible, with the grass cut low for easier wheelchair access and low-hanging tree branches removed.
Specific wheelchair facilities provided are:
- Wheelchair Charging Facility: at the main Information Tent, beside the Sports Precinct at the St Kilda Rd end of the precinct.
- Wheelchair Lift: available as required at the stages.
- Accessible Toilets: all toilet blocks include accessible toilets, including inside the bar and the youth precinct, and behind the stage (for performers).
- Volunteer Briefing: the briefing at 6pm on Thursday 16 January will be Auslan interpreted.
- Carnival Stages: everything on the Main Stage will be Auslan interpreted up to the start of T Dance (at 6pm). The Dog Show on the Picnic Stage will also be Auslan interpreted.
Audio Described Map
Description Victoria have provided an audio described map on Soundcloud for vision impaired attendees - Open Audio Described Map (Soundcloud). Description Victoria will also be providing free describer guides to support the experience of visitors who are Blind or have low vision. Get in touch via 0475 720 116 from 11am to 5pm, and they will be happy to meet you at a nearby tram station, train station, or the drop-off point, and guide you to and through the event.
Midsumma Carnival this year has Access Champions on site. If you or someone you are with requires one-on-one support for navigating the Midsumma Carnival grounds, guidance to finding and using the available access provisions or any general advice around accessibility on the day, they are there to help! They can be contacted by:
- Asking one of the friendly volunteers at the entrances
- Asking at the Info Tents
- Calling or messaging 0467 795 342 (Midsumma Carnival Day only)
A harm reduction Chill Out Tent is provided by DanceWize, and located in the Main Stage Precinct, on the Alexandra Avenue (south) side of the park.
The Tea Tent with Alice's Garage, located in the centre of the park close to the cafe, on the Alexandra Avenue (south) side of the park, is provided specifically for older attendees.
For information about accessibility facilities across the festival, see Access Information.