Memory Lane art exhibit - Midsumma Festival 2021
Poolside Café artwork on a Metro Tunnel acoustic shed – photographed by James Henry
** For details of the 2021 Midsumma Festival event, see MEMORY LANE.
The Metro Tunnel Creative Program and Midsumma Festival 2021 are collaborating to showcase the strength and adaptability of our artists and culture makers. The art that came before us is what gave so much strength to our communities to be where we are today. The last year has been tough for our ‘Arts World’ and we need to remind ourselves of our roots. To commemorate our history, we want to take a trip down Memory Lane.
Midsumma Festival and the Metro Tunnel Creative Program will select up to ten artists from an EOI process to help us take over the outdoor gallery on the acoustic shed facing City Baths in Melbourne to go on display for Midsumma Festival in April 2021. This will be part of the Midsumma Presents program and selected artists will be paid $1,000.00 for their artwork design and licence (Note: the cost and management of printing and installation will be covered by the Metro Tunnel Creative Program).
We are inviting artists to create a visual image in response to your favourite Midsumma Festival memory, your “Midsumma moment” something that connected with you at your core. After over 30 years of festivals, it might of course be hard for some artists to pick just one.
After the success of our online gallery Living in the Queerantine, we have decided to again have an open callout for this project, find all details below for submissions. If you are an artist who has been involved with Queerantine or are applying to be part of the Midsumma Australia Post Art Award you can still apply for this opportunity, but it cannot be the same work.
Submissions to exhibit in the Memory Lane art exhibit have now closed
All finalists will be required to:
- Agree to exhibiting their submitted artwork during Midsumma Festival 2021 on the Metro Tunnel outdoor gallery on the acoustic shed beside the City Baths in Melbourne.
- Consent to Midsumma Festival and Metro Tunnel Creative Program publishing the artwork (including photographs) to publicise this competition in connection with Midsumma Festival or for the purposes of promoting LGBTQIA+ inclusion.
- Consent to featuring work being exhibited in an online virtual tour of the exhibition.
- You warrant that the Image:
- is your original work;
- does not, to the best of your knowledge, infringe the copyright or moral rights of any third party; and
- is your unique work developed exclusively for use for this project
- Where the Image is based, in whole or part, on one or more previous images created by you, you warrant that the Image is substantially different from these previous images to be considered a unique work.
- We agree that you own the copyright in the Image and all other materials
- You grant us a perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty free, worldwide licence of the copyright in the Image for the exclusive purpose of making and using images, and videos for non-commercial purposes including but not limited to:
- the maintenance, promotion and marketing of ‘Memory Lane; and
- promoting and marketing our business and Midsumma and the Metro Tunnel generally including in financial and annual reports, multimedia presentations, website, and advertising materials; and
- potential inclusion in publications, website, social media, exhibitions and other materials related to promotion of the Metro Tunnel Creative Program and other related events; and
- archival purposes,
and we agree not to reproduce or use images or videos of the Image except for the above purposes.
- We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that you are attributed in any publication or communication of images or video of the Image by us, including in social media content.
- You indemnify us against all losses, liabilities, costs and expenses (including reasonable legal expenses as between solicitor and client) arising out of or in relation to any breach of your above warranties and terms.
Format of submission
The picture must be vertical and in high resolution with a minimum of 3000dpi. The dimensions for the images to fit into the frames in this location are 800mm(width) x 1300mm(height). If your image doesn’t fit, our designer will crop it (as respectfully as possible) to ensure it does.
What is the selection process?
In total there will be ten artists selected who will have works displayed across three panels. This could be one work that is repeated three times or potentially one work that might go across three panels (like a comic strip or narrative).
- Please Note
The creation of this artwork should not compromise the safety of you or those around you. Please follow the restrictions outlined by the government in your area, and practice safe social distancing.
How will we credit your work?
The work that you make from this commission will belong to you. As part of the process, we will keep the right to host your awesome work on our platforms, but beyond that it is all yours to grow, develop or re-present elsewhere. We will just ask for two months (from publication) of exclusivity and then you will be able to take the work with you to other mediums if you want! We simply ask that you acknowledge Midsumma as a supporter of your work.
We will also ask for all of your social media handles, website and appropriate links, so we can tag you when we share your work.
Please keep in mind that as this is an outdoor exhibiting space, all works selected will need to be suitable for people of all ages. Midsumma and the Metro Tunnel Creative Program will not be able to exhibit works of inappropriate content and reserve the right to refuse content deemed inappropriate.
- Expressions Of Interest will close on Friday 5 February 2021 at 11:59pm
- Successful Applicants notified Week of 19 February 2021
- Digital art files to be submitted for approval by 1 March 2021
- Final art files need to be delivered ready for printing by 7 March 2021
Please read through the information and express your interest by completing the form below. You will be sent an email receipt of your application upon successfully submitting the form.
Submissions to exhibit in the Memory Lane art exhibit have now closed.