Food Vendor Expression of Interest
Food Vendor Applications
Expressions of Interest by Food Vendors for Midsumma Festival 2021 will open in winter 2020. Sign up to our eNews to stay in the loop for Midsumma Festival 2021.
How it Works
Express Your Interest
For your food truck to be involved with any of Midsumma Festival’s large outdoor events, you must first fill out an Expression of Interest (EOI) form. Midsumma will determine successful applications based on specific criteria to ensure the offering to event attendees is diverse, affordable, sustainable, caters to all tastes and dietary requirements, and is in line with Midsumma Festival’s organisational values.
Operating at Midsumma Festival events is highly desirable for most vendors and unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate all requests, so please take the time to tell us about your best assets.
The bars at Midsumma are on a tendered contract, so we do not require any EOIs for alcohol vendors.
Midsumma Carnival: Sunday 17 January 2021
- Midsumma Carnival turns Alexandra Gardens into the queerest precinct in town for a day, an estimated crowd of over 118,000 LGBTQIA-friendly people.
Midsumma Pride March: Sunday 31 January 2021
- In 2020, over 10,000 people marched down Fitzroy St in St Kilda to seaside celebrations in Catani Gardens, alongside the 45,000 people who watched from the sidelines.
Successful applications may be offered a position at one or both of these events:
- READ the information provided about the selection process and vendor fees.
- TALK to us if you have any queries. Midsumma can be reached on [email protected] or 03 9296 6600.
- PREPARE clear images of your vehicle, a copy of your menu (with prices and dietary/allergy information), and a copy of your Public Liability Insurance to go with your application.
- SUBMIT online by COB Monday 28 September 2020. Late submissions will not be accepted and submissions with incomplete information will not be considered.
Please Note: Due to logistical requirements of the event, applications are only open to trucks, vans, or trailers. We are unable to accept vendors who operate out of a marquee or similar.
Successful food vendor applications are based on a range of criteria presented to a selection panel for suitability to Midsumma Festival.
Menu Options / Dietary Requirements
At Midsumma Festival we aim to have a broad range of food options at our events. We appreciate the diversity of our audiences as well as the food available to them!
Previously, selected Food Vendors have demonstrated a variety of food options within their menu. Menus with a number of vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free or nut-free options are highly regarded. Menus generally must at least have a vegetarian main meal option in order to be considered.
Affordable pricing options
Midsumma Carnival and Midsumma Pride March are both free events and we have members from the community attending from all walks of life. Food Vendors with menu items at a broad range of price points are more likely to be successful.
Sustainable / 'Green' practices
Midsumma Festival, as well as our event partners City of Melbourne and City of Port Phillip, have strict guidelines around sustainability.
Vendors with sustainable practices around packaging, straws, landfill, recycling, food waste, and water usage are at an advantage. Midsumma strongly discourages the use of single-use plastics.
History with Midsumma Festival
Midsumma Festival takes into consideration previous interactions with Midsumma Festival staff, volunteers and customers and encourages EOIs from Vendors who share in our values.
- Shake it up! It's a competitive industry that is constantly changing and we love seeing new vendors applying, or vendors changing up their menus and truck designs. No need to re-invent the wheel, just to perhaps change the tyres every now and then.
- Be flexible. As the event grows and improves each year, there are changes that are made across all aspects of the event. We are appreciative when our vendors are open minded about new elements of the events and not set on what has happened in previous years.
- We always aim to select a range of vendors that cater to vegetarians and vegans since our audiences are generally much more likely to be vegetarian than the general population / attendees at other events. Many vendors at our events run out of their vegetarian/vegan option early in the day. Don't underestimate the queer community's love for a plant-based diet.
- Trust us and we'll trust you. Midsumma Festival is run by a small team of arts and events management professionals and we are not operating for profit. Trust that we have the event's best interests at heart and we will do the same for you. We know that all our vendors are experienced, dedicated, and prepared to do an amazing job!
Make sure you give us as much information as you can to ensure we see you at your best!
Successful applicants will be contacted shortly after registrations close to confirm their acceptance for Midsumma Carnival and/or Midsumma Pride March. Other event opportunities may arise during the festival for which your contact details will be kept for reference.
Please note that due to the volume of submissions received, incomplete applications will not be considered. The outcome of this process is decided by Midsumma Festival and will not be reconsidered.
Food Vendor Fees
Below are the prices associated with being involved at a Midsumma Festival event. Your operating space is inclusive of your cool room and any back of house space you may require, so please ensure that the details provided in your application are as accurate as possible to ensure we can provide you with the right space and position.
Midsumma are unable to guarantee attendance numbers, due to the nature of non-ticketed, outdoor events, since they are subject to factors outside of our control. We will be able to provide you with estimates to assist with your planning.
Food Vendor locations are determined by the festival based on Vendor footprint, power requirements, and a variety of options across the site. Locations are non-negotiable.
Food Vendors in previous years have dispensed similar numbers of units across the event site and location is not a significant factor for the Food Vendors' success on the day.
Midsumma Carnival: Trading Hours 11am - 10pm (estimated 118,000+ attendees)
Site Fee is currently under review.
Midsumma Pride March: Trading Hours 11am - 4pm (estimated 53,000+ attendees)
Site Fee is currently under review.
Please note: trading hours are approximations and further detail will be provided as part of your contract should you be selected by Midsumma Festival.
Costing for other Midsumma events, if the opportunity arises, will be on a case by case basis.
1 x 15Amp Outlet: $60
1 x 20Amp Outlet: $100
Any 10Amp Power Outlets will be included as part of your attendance fee without additional charge.
Additional power can be supplied upon request. This is detailed in the EOI form.
All prices are GST inclusive. An external surcharge of 1.5% applies for credit/debit card payments.
All vendors are required to use the power supplied by Midsumma and are not permitted to use their own generator unless otherwise specified in writing by Midsumma. To discuss this, email [email protected].
HOW TO EXPRESS YOUR INTEREST
- Contact details
- Menu details (item, price, allergy information, dietary requirement)
- Vehicle and coolroom (if required) dimensions, and total footprint required
- Power requirements
- Sustainability of business practices
- Public Liability Insurance Certificate of Currency
- Promotional photos
Sunday 17 January 2021
Midsumma Carnival turns Alexandra Gardens into the queerest precinct in town for a day, with an estimated crowd of over 118,000 LGBTQIA-friendly people.
Midsumma Pride March
Sunday 31 January 2021
We will be celebrating the 26th Pride March in 2021. In 2020, over 10,000 people marched down Fitzroy St in St Kilda, watched by 45,000 people, to seaside celebrations in Catani Gardens.