Work With Us
Midsumma Staff (2022) in front of Queer-ways mural, Fitzroy.
With a small core team working from the Midsumma Office in Melbourne's CBD all year round, we increase our team size with seasonal staff, summer placements, and volunteers from September to February each year. Head to About Midsumma to learn more about Midsumma Festival, our values, and the work we do.
Midsumma is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in the workplace. As such we encourage and support applications from people from diverse backgrounds for any jobs that might currently be available.
If you are interested in talking to us about employment or volunteer opportunities, please send a CV and cover letter outlining your interest to [email protected].
Join the Midsumma Team as the Manager of Production & Operations!
Are you a dynamic, highly organized individual with a passion for LGBTQIA+ arts and culture? Midsumma Festival Inc, Australia's premier LGBTQIA+ cultural organisation, is seeking a talented individual to fill the crucial role of Manager of Production & Operations.
Midsumma Festival is a champion of LGBTQIA+ cultures, fostering conversations, and celebrating diverse gender and sexuality experiences. We provide a platform for artists and cultural makers year-round, culminating in our annual three-week festival featuring over 220 events across 100 venues, with audiences exceeding 300,000.
As the Manager of Production & Operations, you will play a pivotal role in orchestrating the year-round execution of multiple events at Midsumma. Reporting directly to the Midsumma Chief Executive, you will lead a team responsible for event logistics, budgets, stakeholder relationships, and ensure the success of all Midsumma events.
- Execute major public events, attracting over 300,000 attendees, while adhering to allocated budgets.
- Oversee operational planning and manage relationships with key stakeholders, including Victoria Police, local councils, venues, and emergency services.
- Develop and production manage Midsumma presented/produced events, working closely with the Program Manager.
- Develop layout and site designs for major events, obtain required permits, licenses, and operational plans.
- Manage procurement and contract terms for technical, production, and operation suppliers.
- Lead, recruit, and manage the Production and Operations Department, fostering a positive work culture.
- Review and develop event-specific risk management strategies in collaboration with external safety consultants.
- Contribute to the overarching vision and direction of the organization as part of the Strategic Management Team.
- Demonstrated professional experience in festival or large-scale event production.
- Experience with obtaining major event permits, liquor licensing, and related permits.
- Strong communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Collaborative, flexible, and creative problem-solving approach.
- Commitment to diversity, LGBTQIA+ communities, and Midsumma's organizational values.
- Active person meeting the physical requirements of the position and possessing a driver’s license.
Midsumma is an equal opportunity employer, valuing diversity in the workplace. We encourage and support applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds.
How to Apply: To apply, please address the requirements of the job description in your application. For additional information or support materials about Midsumma, contact [email protected]
Join us in making a difference and celebrating the vibrant LGBTQIA+ arts and culture community at Midsumma Festival!
POSITION VACANT - Marketing and Communications Manager
*** This position is an initial two-year contract position ***
An exciting opportunity exists for a dedicated Marketing and Communications manager to join our team at Midsumma.
Midsumma is one of Australia’s premier LGBTQIA+ arts and cultural organisation, for and by communities who live with shared experiences around diverse gender and sexuality. Midsumma also has significant programs aimed at intersectional diverse communities. With attendances of over 300,000 per year our Midsumma Festival features up to 250 events across art artforms in venues across Melbourne and wider Victoria. Midsumma also works year-round and nationally to provide artists with development and commissioning projects. Midsumma is currently in a state of tremendous growth and success.
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic, and dedicated person to undertake this senior and hands-on role as Marketing and Communications Manager to best support the artistic and cultural objectives and current growth trajectory in a progressive way.
The role works closely with our Chief Executive and Programming staff as well as with diverse communities. The salary range is between $93k to $100k p.a. plus super, depending upon the applicant’s expertise.
All applications must address the requirements of the job description. For a copy of the job description and other support materials about Midsumma, or for any further information on the role or organisation please contact [email protected]. Applications close 5pm Friday 12th January 2024.
Download the Marketing and Communications Manager PD
UPDATE - POSITION FILLED - ACTING Marketing and Communications Manager (opportunity to extend contract)
An exciting opportunity exists for an experienced and energetic Marketing and Communications Manager to join our team for a short-term and delivery-focused role to execute Marketing and Communications requirements for the 2024 Midsumma Festival.
Download the ACTING Marketing and Communications Manager PD
Please subscribe to our eNews to be kept up to date with all opportunities.
Midsumma Festival is one of Australia’s premier LGBTQIA+ arts and cultural festivals, for and by communities who live with shared experiences around diverse gender and sexuality.
- A leadership arts organisation cultivating queer arts culture unique to Australia with local, national, international engagement; leading LGBTQIA+ cultural conversations.
- An artistic powerhouse investing in diverse LGBTQIA+ artistic voices to develop powerful new work, across disciplines, that inspire, shares unique stories, build meaningful connections spanning all cultures, age/generations, gender/sexual identities and disability.
Midsumma has repositioned itself as a cultural influencer with artistic leadership, learning, and diversity at its heart. Midsumma has significant programs aimed at disability cultures, indigenous and culturally and linguistically diverse programming. With an attendance of 306,000 in 2023, our summer Midsumma Festival features over 200 events across many artforms in venues across Melbourne, with both a curated and open access festival program, and a year-round arts development program. Midsumma is currently in a state of tremendous growth and success and ready to spring into its next stage.
Volunteer With Midsumma
Midsumma Festival is a volunteer-fuelled organisation that wouldn't exist without the contribution from individuals within our community. Every volunteer is an ambassador for Midsumma Festival: enthusiastic, friendly, helpful and professional.Volunteer With Us
Become a Patron
By becoming a Midsumma Patron you not only get the VIP treatment at our signature events but you also receive regular behind-the-scenes updates on Midusmma’s activity as the festival develops and invitations to attend VIP events throughout the 22-day festival.Become a Patron