Midsumma Futures: Easy English Guide
Archie Barry, previous Midsumma Futures participant, in Hypnic (2017), performance approximately 4min. Photograph Credit: Vanessa Godden
What is Midsumma?
Midsumma is an arts organisation.
We work with artists who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex or Asexual.
We run a festival every year called Midsumma Festival.
We also run programs where artists can learn and develop their practice.
What is Midsumma Futures?
Midsumma Futures is a program for artists.
Midsumma Futures is a program where you will
- be mentored
- participate in workshops
- attend Midsumma Festival 2019
Is this program for me?
If you answer "yes" to all of the following questions then this program is for you.
- an artist, performer, musician, writer or producer?
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex or Asexual?
- in the first 10 years of your artistic practice?
Tell me more about being mentored
In this program you will be mentored. Important things to know
- A mentor is an artist with similar interests to you.
- A mentor is someone who has been an artist for more than 10 years.
- Your mentorship will start in October 2018 and finish in May 2019.
- We will pay your mentor $800.
How do I find a mentor?
You have two choices
- You can ask someone to be your mentor
- You can ask us to find you a mentor
Tell us about your ideal mentor when you apply to be part of the program.
Tell me more about the workshops
In this program you will attend 4 workshops. When you attend the workshops you will
- Meet other artists
- Learn new ideas
- Discuss your artistic practice
- Participate in activities that will help you think about your practice in new ways
Where are the workshops?
All workshops will be in Melbourne
When are the workshops?
The dates for these workshops are:
- Workshop 1: Friday 19 to Saturday 20 October 2018. This workshop will run for 2 days.
- Workshop 2: Friday 7 to Saturday 8 December 2018. This workshop will run for 2 days
- Workshop 3: Wednesday 30 January 2019. This will be a shorter workshop running for approximately two hours.
- Workshop 4: Friday 5 to 6 April 2019. This workshop will run for 2 days.
All workshops will start at 9:30am and finish at 6pm. There will be activities in the evening after some workshops.
Tell me about attending Midsumma Festival
Midsumma Festival runs for 3 weeks.
Midsumma Festival starts on 20 January 2019 and finishes on 10 February 2019.
You will be given free tickets to Midsumma Festival.
At Midsumma Festival you will
- See performances and exhibitions
- Attend talks
- Be inspired
How do I apply?
You have to apply to participate in Midsumma Futures.
Not everyone who applies can participate in Midsumma Futures. We only accept up to 10 people into the program.
To apply you will need to complete a form online. Follow this link to find the form: include Marcato link
Applications close Monday 27 August at midnight. We will tell you in late September if your application is successful.
Tell me more about the application form
If you need help completing the form, call the friendly Midsumma staff on 03 9296 6600 or email [email protected]
The form has 3 sections for you to complete
- Part A: Applicant's Details.
This section will ask you questions about you (for example your name, your email address, your postal address). You will need to type your answers into the form.
- Part B: You and Midsumma Futures.
This section will ask you questions about why you want to participate in Midsumma Futures. You can type your answers into the form OR you can record your answers using video.
- Part C: Support Material.
This section will ask you to provide a biography about you. You will also be asked to provide support material (for example, letters of support or examples of your previous artistic work).
We encourage you to speak with Midsumma's friendly staff before you apply.
Call 03 9296 6600 or email [email protected].
Midsumma is National Relay Service ready. Contact the National Relay Service on 133 677 or via relayservice.com.au, then ask for 03 9296 6600 during business hours.